I got the parts in from digikey today, and assembled a couple of the rStep boards. Seems that sanguino uses the 644p and I ordered the 644. Additionally, I’m clocking the 644 at 20Mhz while the sanguino expects 16Mhz. I had to make a number of changes to make the 644 work with the arduino. First, I had to modify the bootloader by adding an entry for the 644 @ 20Mhz, recompiled it, and uploaded it through the JTAG port. Additionally, the boards.txt file had to be changed to reflect the 644 @ 20Mhz. Now, it is compatible with the arduino IDE and I was able to compile a simple LED blinking application and upload it without problems. A few more tests and I’ll be able to send out the beta boards to the developers for further testing.
After a failed order (and 2+ months of waiting) for a PCB order from dorkbot, I reordered the PCB through seeedstuio. $40 shipped for 10 PCBs was great, but they ended up shipping me 18 (must have had extra space on the panels). I paid an extra $10 for the white soldermask (I’m so sick of green. I never want to see a gree PCB). A few weeks later, I got them.
For those of you who have stopped following my CNC posts, I’ve still be active working on an open-source project called rStep. Yes, the r is for Reza. I’m egotistical that way. Anyhow, it’s been a really interesting experience and I’ve gained a lot of insight in running an open-source group. Last I checked, there were 78 members subscribed to the mailing list, and we have about 1/2 dozen active participants who are submitting code, testing, etc. I love seeing an idea start to become something real with people who are interested in the same stuff as I am and see the advantages to such a system. Check out the rStep page for more information.
The parts order is in place, this will be the final beta version (v3) and v4 will be a production run.